The Alberta Sport Leadership Association – Newly Elected Board
Alberta Sector Led Sport Organization Launched with the Election of first Board of Directors The Alberta Sport Leadership Association (ASLA) held its first Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, June 28th where the membership elected the inaugural Board of 9 Directors to provide leadership to the sport sector. Each Director has significant experience in sport and will advocate for the advancement of the broad sport sector in Alberta.
The purpose of ASLA is to unite and advance Alberta’s sport sector through 3 main areas of focus:
1. Increase the profile of sport by advocating the positive values and benefits
2. Serve as the unified voice within the Alberta sport community to identify issues and seek mutually beneficial solutions;
3. Provide overall leadership and strategic direction to the sport community.
Elected to the Board of Directors were:
• Mary Moran, recently retired President and CEO of Calgary Economic Development;
• Diane Clarke, Executive Director of Volleyball Alberta;
• Lisa Hardy, Executive Director of Skate Canada – Alberta/NWT;
• Marco De Iaco, Vice President Business Development with Western Hockey League and former
Vice President of Sales and Major Events with Tourism Calgary;
• Shawn Holman, Executive Director of Swim Alberta and former Chief Sport Officer with Speed
• Chris Witkowski, Parks Planning Manager – City of Lethbridge and former Local Organizing
Committee Chair for the Tour of Alberta;
• Andrew Trevoy, Corporate Lawyer;
• Dave Finn, Human Resource Consultant and President of Alberta 55 plus;
• Justin Hebert, Special Olympics Alberta.
Lisa Hardy will assume the role of Interim Chair until the Board appoints the officers for the Association in the near term. With the first fully elected Board of Directors, the ASLA will begin its focus to both unite and bring a voice to the broad sport sector, while working in collaboration wherever possible with the Government of Alberta. The newly elected Board will undertake the development of a Strategic Plan for the Association, identify ways to continue to bring the sector together to advance sport and work to elevate the voice of sport through celebrating the health, economic and social benefits that a strong sport community can bring to the province of Alberta.
The Alberta Sport Leadership Association was first conceived as an idea for a sector led organization in January of 2020. Over the last two and half years, the development of the organization was led by a group of sport sector leaders who worked closely with and engaged with both the sport community and the Government of Alberta. Through the development phases, a total of four town halls were held with sport leaders from close to 80 different provincial level and regional level sport organizations to gain input into the direction of the Association. The Association was officially incorporated in April of 2022 with an interim Board comprised of: Scott Robinson, Cheryl Humphrey, Dale Henwood, Leigh Goldie, Mark Kosak and David Myers who will continue to assist the new Board in this transition period.
For questions, please reach out by email to: Albertasportleadership@gmail.com