Earlier this year Power of Sport issued The True Sport Report and Central sport has identified and summarized 5 key themes.
The second key theme is COVID-19 and Canadian Sport.
- The complications of physical distancing meant lost participation in organized sport for all Canadians, but child and youth organized sport was significantly
- This loss of sport has been noted as a contributing factor in the declining mental wellness Canadians experienced throughout the pandemic.
Returning to Sport
- The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed the underlying social inequalities of communities by disproportionately affecting low-income and unemployed individuals, as well as women.
- There is an understanding that Canadians need to “build back better” after the pandemic.
- Addressing and reducing the barriers that prevent certain demographics from participating in sport will allow for more Canadians to receive the positive benefits of good sport experiences.
You can find the full 2022 True Sport Report here.